Through the enactment of AB 133 (Chapter 143, Statutes of 2021), California is in the process of establishing a statewide health and human services data exchange framework. This framework will consist of a single data-sharing agreement and common set of policies and procedures to govern the exchange of health information among government agencies, providers, and health care entities beginning June 2024.
- By January 1, 2022 – California will establish a single data sharing agreement and common set of policies and procedures that will govern and require the exchange of health information among health care entities and government agencies in California.
- By January 31, 2023 – The California Health & Human Services Agency (CalHHS) and the California State Association of Counties (CSAC) will encourage as many county health, public health, and social services providers to connect to the Data Exchange Framework with all state and local public health agencies exchanging health information in real-time with participating health care entities.
- By January 31, 2023 – The Data Exchange Framework data sharing agreement will be executed by: general acute care hospitals, physician organizations and medical groups, skilled nursing facilities, health service plans and disability insurers, Medi-Cal managed care plans, clinical laboratories, and acute psychiatric hospitals.
- By January 31, 2024 – All participating entities will exchange health information or provide access to health information to and from every other entity in real-time for treatment, payment, or health care operations.
Stakeholder Advisory Group Meetings & Materials
- Meeting #1: August 31, 2021 – Presentation
- Meeting #2: October 7, 2021 – Presentation
- Meeting #3: November 10, 2021 – Presentation
- Meeting #4: December 14, 2021 – Presentation
- Meeting #5: January 25, 2022 – Presentation
- Meeting #6: March 3, 2022 – Presentation
- Meeting #7: April 7, 2022 – Presentation
- Meeting #8: May 18, 2022 – Presentation
- Meeting #9: June 23, 2022 – Presentation
Full meeting materials, including recordings of previous meetings, are available here.