HHS Issues Climate Adaption and Resilience Plan and Policy Statement
The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) this week, as part of President Joseph R. Biden, Jr.’s Executive Order 14008 related to climate change, released its Climate Adaptation and Resilience Plan to bolster resilience of its operations and assets from the accelerating impacts of climate change. With the release of its plan, HHS joins 20 other federal agencies in identifying agency-level climate-related actions.
The HHS plan identifies five priority actions that will be implemented through its mission, programs, operations, and management. These priorities include:
- Expand existing climate change-related public health and biomedical research activities
- Improve HHS responses to the climate crisis
- Develop climate-resilient grant policies at HHS
- Workplace optimization and effective space management for climate resilience
- Promote sustainable and climate resilient operations at HHS facilities
Additional information about the plan and policy statement is available here.