National Safety Council Releases White Paper on U.S. Opioid Epidemic
The U.S. National Safety Council this week released a report on the nationwide opioid epidemic titled, “Prescription Nation 2018.” The report highlights the rapidly rising opioid overdose epidemic, economic impacts of the overdoses, and recommended actions to address the crisis and save lives. State-by-state progress in responding to the epidemic and strengthening laws and regulations is also included in the report.
The report discusses major dimensions of the opioid crisis and identifies six state-based actions to adequately respond to the epidemic. These actions are:
- Mandating prescriber education
- Implementing opioid prescribing guidelines
- Integrating prescription drug monitoring programs into clinical settings
- Improving data collection and sharing
- Treating opioid overdose
- Increasing availability of opioid use disorder treatment
Additional information and the full NSC report are available here.